Re: GTK file selector dialog with help text too small

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: GTK file selector dialog with help text too small
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:37:42 +0200

Miles Bader skrev:
Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
In Gtk+ 2.10 '/' or '~' opens a second entry box which is different from the C-l one. You can type stuff in the second entry box, but it doesn't seem to do anything with the text you type there, that is hitting return just hides the entry box again and does nothing.

The little sub-dialog you get from typing `/' seems to work for me -- If
I enter a filename in there, and hit RET, the "main" file dialog jumps
directly to that file, and I can then just hit OK to give it to Emacs.

Are you running 2.10? In previous versions there was a subdialog, but in 2.10 there is no more sub dialog, but a text field integrated in to the main dialog that is shown or hidden.

The behaviour I wrote about above seems to have changed in 2.10.3 (0r 2.10.2, I went from 2.10.1 to 2.10.3), I can no longer get the little sub-entry box. It was probably a bug.

BTW, on a slightly tangential point, I notice that the GTK file dialog
in Emacs has a huge honkin' message that says "if you don't like this
file dialog you can do ... to turn it off".

While this is indeed useful information for a surprised user in some
circumstance, it negatively affects the layout of the file dialog, and I
imagine could annoy somebody that uses the dialog regularly.  Is there a
way to disable that "warning" text?

Yes, customize x-gtk-file-dialog-help-text. Should I put it in NEWS? It is in frames.texi. Now that I changed the names of variables as suggested by Reiner Steib, the Gtk-related variables begin with x-gtk-.

I will change the text so that the C-l part is not shown for Gtk+ 2.10 and
newer.

Also, it occurs to me that some users might like it if Emacs would
simply use the little "sub-file-dialog" (which you get by hitting C-l in
the main GTK file dialog) directly, without going through the
complicated main file dialog box; is there anyway of doing that?

Nope, I tried, but the details to pop it up is buried inside gtk internals.
Unless you count C-x C-f :-). And anyway, Gtk+ 2.10 has a text entry box integrated into the dialog. It even has a button to toggle that text entry box.

        Jan D.