Re: shell-quote-argument bug on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: shell-quote-argument bug on w32
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:11:00 +0200

Stefan Monnier wrote:
The reason I was thinking about it was actually the problems I reported
yesterday in "Ftp and file name with spaces". It looks to me that probably
should quoting there be unix style. And it does not matter what the shell is
since the ftp program is run directly (or am I missing something there?).

I think the quoting to be used is at best unclear, and most likely,
depending on the ftp server, no amount of quoting will fix it.
I.e. I think the only reliable solution is to first copy the file to some
other file (with a name without spaces) and then send that.
But for the local file names I guess quoting could be used? (But it might still be unclear?)

On w32 a solution might be to send short path names to the ftp program if there are spaces in the local file name. I do not know about other platforms though. Quoting the local file name before sending it to the ftp program seems to be more platform independent.

I would be glad if we could solve this bug on the local side.