Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quote file name args to start-process-shell-command?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:25:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:45:43 +0200
>> Clearly, ARGS is (except on VMS) _not_ a list of separate arguments,
>> but rather strings pasted together with spaces.
> Yes, as any API to `system' should do.

start-process-shell-command is neither documented as an API to
`system', nor implemented by using `system'.

>> So I don't understand how to apply your remark
>> "start-process-shell-command is not system(3).".
> That remark should be understood as follows:
> start-process-shell-command is a wrapper around `system',

No, it isn't.  It does something similar, but the similarity to what
`system' does is not documented, and `system' is not used in its

> but it isn't `system' itself.  So it doesn't need to accept only one
> string, but eventually it will concatenate them all.

Even if did use `system' (which it doesn't), any behavior that arises
as a consequence of undocumentated implementation details of
`start-process-shell-command' would need to get documented.