Re: grep -E instead of egrep?

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: grep -E instead of egrep?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 13:20:53 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> I saw the following change:
>
> 2006-10-15  Lennart Borgman  [...]
>
>       * progmodes/ada-xref.el (ada-find-in-src-path): Likewise.
>       Use grep -E rather than egrep.
>
> Is there a particular reason to prefer "grep -E"?  I would have
> thought that "egrep" is much more portable?

The SUSv3  [1] doesn't have  any entry for  « egrep », and  only knows

So you're probably right about egrep being much more portable, because
it's been created before grep -E, but in the future, egrep is meant to
disappear.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.unix.org/single_unix_specification/

--
/!\ My mail address changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |  Si les religions etaient aussi tole-  |