Re: Bug Database?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Bug Database?
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 09:50:37 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:
If we are to run a bug tracker, we first need to work out a plan for
entering bugs reported by email into the data base.  We need to find a
person or persons who will do the work.
It seems like the sort of job that could easily be automated by a script. In fact, my preference would be to have the script be the only recipient of the emacs-pretest-bug and bug-emacs mail aliases, and to create the entry in the bug database, then add the bug id into the email before forwarding it to the mailing list subscribers. Things like prioritizing and categorizing would still have to be done by hand, but at least there is a guarantee that all bugs make it into the database.

Spam might be a problem with that approach, so perhaps only automatically add bugs that are in the format created by report-emacs-bug, and forward incorrectly formatted emails directly to the list for manual addition.