Re: unicode-2 branch segfaulting on MacOS X?

From: Geoffrey Alan Washburn
Subject: Re: unicode-2 branch segfaulting on MacOS X?
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 21:17:40 -0400

Kenichi Handa wrote:
In article <address@hidden>, Geoffrey Alan Washburn <address@hidden> writes:

I've been trying to get the latest revision of the emacs-unicode-2 branch to build and run under MacOS X. Building seems to work fine, I've been using the following configuration

./configure --prefix=/local --enable-font-backend --with-gtk --with-xft --with-tiff --with-ungif --with-xpm --enable-asserts CPPFLAGS=-idirafter /usr/X11R6/include

However, when I attempt to invoke emacs with

emacs --enable-font-backend --font "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16"

it seems to be segfaulting somewhere in font_unparse_fcname.  Any ideas?

I can't reproduce it on GNU/Linux.

Indeed, the same version works fine on my ThinkPad running Debian GNU/Linux.

So, could you please use gdb to find exactly where (and how) Emacs causes
segfault
(see etc/DEBUG if you are not familiar with gdb).

Could you be more specific about what you mean by "how" it is segfaulting? It is pretty obvious that it is reading/writing an invalid memory location. As I said the problem occurs in font_unparse_fcname. In particular, line 1258 of font.c with parameters font=42759700, pixel_size=19, name=0x2a20d20 "", and nbytes=96.