RE: Info-search-isearch

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Info-search-isearch
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:10:57 -0800

I was reminded of this 2005 thread by a recent thread in help-gnu-emacs.

>From what I can see, Juri's accidental discovery (`C-x M-e C-w WORDS C-s')
never did get documented as a tip in the Emacs manual. I think it should be.

Many word-processing programs and text editors make it very easy to do word
searches, sometimes incremental word searches. In Emacs, AFAIK, we haven't
yet provided a simple way to do this. Juri's tip is a good one, until we
provide a better (quicker and easier to remember) interface to incremental
word searching.

(Yes, regexp searching with \b is good too, but that is not what many users
will want, to search for words.)

WDOT? Should Juri's tip be documented now, say in node Word Search of the
Emacs manual? If so, we should also mention how to toggle back to non-word
incremental search. (We should call this incremental word search, BTW, not
"half-incremental" search.)

Should we, after the release, come up with a quicker, easier way to toggle
incremental search to/from incremental word searching?

-------