Re: Pretest

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Pretest
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 08:33:04 -0500

    I don't know when I'll have time to do that; fencepost.gnu.org is not
    my main machine.  Even if I do find the portion of the diffs that
    causes the problem, then what?  We don't have a version of Autoconf
    that would have the effect of applying only part of the diffs, so once
    again we will be in a position where regenerating the configure script
    would be difficult of impossible.

I have not followed the whole thread, and I am not certain I understand
the issue.  Is the problem is that a certain snapshot of Autoconf
gives an incorrect configure file?

if so, we should never use that version of Autoconf to generate the
configure file, and we should report the bug to the Autoconf
developers.

Yidong, can you install a released Autoconf on your machine
and use that from now on?

    However, in this case, config.in and config.h are identical to the
    ones you included in the tarball, and so is src/Makefile.in.  Am I
    missing something?

That puzzles me, too.