Re: Tramp default method

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Tramp default method
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:00:47 -0500

    Checking the file size before copying is an extra overhead when the file
    is remote.

Alas, that is true when reading the file.  However, when saving the file,
you can check the size painlessly.

For reading the file, perhaps the openssh developers could
perhaps provide a mode that does things one way or the other
depending on the file size.  But that is not something we can do now.

For the short term, I think we should use scp as the default.
To eliminate a short delay for small files is not worth a painful
slowdown for large files.