Re: emacsclientw

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacsclientw
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:40:38 +0100

On 11/13/06, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

Another thing would like is to have emacsclient optionally request that
emacs runs `server-start´ when starting emacs. Is not that much easier
for new emacs users? Does not that also makes it easier to take care of
the --server-file option?

How do you propose to do that in a generic way? You'll have to add
environment variables or new args to allow customizing it. For
example, I don't run `server-start', but `server-mode', because the
later runs `server-mode-hook', which I need. How do you know how much
to wait before retrying emacsclient? (Depending on the size and
complexity of your .emacs, Emacs will delay from a few fractions of a
second to more than a few seconds before server.el is ready to process
incoming connections.) Will you pass to Emacs the server-name?

That's my only objection to what you propose: that emacsclient should
know nothing about how I do run my Emacs. So, if it doesn't, you'll
have to pass it somehow. So more args.

                   /L/e/k/t/u