Re: Pretest

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Pretest
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:13:20 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
What is missing is something that allows you to just use

   emacsclient -n myfile

without doing any setup whatever, without having to start Emacs
before. It should in my opinion work right out of the box.

Are there really typical use cases which require -n?  If so, is there
a need for them to wait for --alternate-editor?

Sorry, I did not mean that

   emacsclient myfile

is not equally important. There are of course many typical use cases both with and without -n.

The reason? The threshold is already high to start to use Emacs. For
new users it is very important to be able to start immediately right
after installing Emacs. Otherwise a lot of potential user might
never start using Emacs.

What is the problem with the invocation I gave?  The _technical_
problem?  If a shorthand option for that invocation would be
desirable, it would be possible to implement this in about three lines
of code, so why is something different required?

Are you saying that you could implement this in a general way so that a new user right after installation can just type something like

   emacsclient myfile
or
   emacsclient -n myfile

in just three lines of code? I did actually not add many lines to do this (most was restructuring of existing code), but I added quite a bit more than tree lines.

The possibility to do something like the line you propose should still
be there, but with my patch you should be able to just use

   emacsclient --alternative-editor="whateveryoulike" myfile

instead.

Why would that not work with the existing code?  It did work up to
now, didn't it?

I think Juanma gave you a reason before. It seems impossible to implement the wait this way. (And I am sure you can see the details yourself.)