Re: Pretest

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Pretest
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:01:16 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/20/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> These changes were installed without properly asking me, and they
>> should not have been.
>
> As I demonstrated in a previous thread, I repeatedly asked on the
> list. Excuse me for not knowing that some things should be asked by
> private e-mail. Perhaps you could write down the exact procedures.
>
>> Are there any problems with the _current_ code?
>
> No. We're talking about extending functionality so emacsclient can
> totally replace gnuclient/gnuserv.

That is not possible without the multi-tty branch, anyway, since
gnuclient, called from a text console, will open a text mode tty in
it.  emacsserver, in contrast, always lets Emacs open on the
console/tty/window where it was started.

What we are currently trying to do, if I understand correctly, is
rather making emacsclient something which will "do the right thing
(TM)" without the need of additional customization, regardless of
whether an Emacs session did or did not exist at the point of time
when emacsclient is called.