Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:52:29 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/22/06, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Yes, they are.  As can easily be verified by listing the directory
>> after creating either file.
>
> Not so. I create MyBook.txt. I "dir mybook.txt". I got the same
> file.

Listing the directory.  Just
dir
and nothing else.

> Just one filename. Don't try to impose your Unix worldview on me!

It is your Windows system that throws the file name with the same
capitalization with which it was created back at you.

So yes, the file name preserves capitalization.

>> They certainly _are_ different file names, but they can't refer to
>> different files.
>
> They certainly are *not*, in a case-insensitive filesystem.

List the directory.

>> It doesn't.  It just insists that you are consistent.  If you want
>> to write lowercase, do so.  If you want to capitalize, do so.
>
> I *am* consistent: I consistently refuse to think that Mila&Nero and
> mila&nero could meaningfully refer to different entities.

Then why do you spell them differently?

>> It is a constant source for trouble in scripts of all sorts.
>
> As Lennart said: it is, with scripts written from the case-sensitive
> mindset. That's not fault of the other alternative.

String equality is not a byproduct of "case-sensitive mindsets".

> I've never had trouble with capitalization on VMS, OS/2, CP/M, DOS,
> Windows, Oasis, THEOS and other case-insensitive systems.

Tough.  I had, repeatedly so, as maintainer of AUCTeX and other
systems.  And I don't even use Windows myself.