Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: find-library-name fails if file (with no extension) exists.
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:56:19 +0100

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> If you use only lowercase filenames (for some reasonable definition of
>> lowercase), you'll not run into trouble.  But the whole point of case
>> insensitity is to encourage using mixed case filenames.
>
> But don't you have to distinguish between the user and the
> programmer here? As a programmer you may handle this.

I fail to see how this can be handled reasonably by a programmer.  How
do I deal with a case insensitive file system (fat32 or Samba share)
with a mount point in a case sensitive file system?

> If the user is not aware of the problem you can not stop him/her
> from doing wrong - of course.
>
>> How are you going to figure out whether a given directory is in
>> load-path?
>
> Sorry, I do not understand. Can you be more concrete?

The user (or a configure script or whatever) specifies a directory.
How can an Elisp program figure out whether this directory is present
in load-path?  This is the sort of trouble that the configuration
scripts in AUCTeX run into.