Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 06:27:44 +0200

> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:02:38 +0100
> From: "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
>
> Is there any portable way to extract the version number from
> lisp/version.el when executing lib-src/makefile (or when running
> nt/configure.bat)?

You mean more portable than this:

  sed -n -e '/(defconst emacs-version/ s/^[^"]*\("[^"]*"\).*/\1/p' version.el

?

> The other option is hardcoding the version number in configure.bat or
> lib-src/Makefile.w32-in, as it is hardcoded now on nt/emacs.rc. But
> then admin/admin.el should have to be modified, shouldn't it?

We could require Sed for the Windows build, and then do the above
(just replace single quotes with double quotes and escape-protect the
inner double quotes).  Or we could craft an equivalent command using
native Windows tools.