Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: -DVERSION for emacsclient
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 14:01:40 +0100

On 11/25/06, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

There's a difference between changing one file and changing half dozen
of them.

Sure. But, as it stands now, the release manager does not change any
file. Even lisp/version.el is updated from admin/admin.el.

Are we at least in agreement that, in principle, anything that's done
automatically as part of preparing a release is better than the need
to do that manually?

Of course. :)

Or are you saying that manual steps are not a
burden in any way?

No, I'm not saying that.

Thanks.  This is okay with me, but I'd prefer that the default value
of VERSION in lib-src/makefile.w32-in be UNKNOWN.  That way, if we
ever forget to run admin.el, we get the result shouting right in our
face.

But VERSION is going to be UNKNOWN just the first time. Once the
release manager runs admin.el the first time (for example, when
releasing the 22.0.92 pretest), VERSION will have forever a version
string...

I can change the regexp to

 (rx (and "VERSION" (0+ space) "=" (0+ space)
          (submatch (or "UNKNOWN" (1+ (in "0-9."))))))

but it's a bit of complexity added for one time's sake.

                   /L/e/k/t/u