Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 20:10:36 -0500

>     I surprisedly found that it is faster of setting
>     `parse-sexp-lookup-properties' to t than setting it to nil.

I'm not completely sure whether your measurements are fair.  Have you made
sure that syntax-ppss's caching doesn't give an unfair advantage to one or
the other?  I'd suggest to try with a real "micro-benchmark" and use
parse-partial-sexp rather than syntax-ppss.  You could also do it in a real
buffer (e.g. turn off jit-lock, load a big Perl file: font-lock should
place a fair bit of syntax-table properties in there, then call
parse-partial-sexp with and without parse-sexp-lookup-properties).

Try it also with other important affected commands such a forward-sexp.

That it goes faster sounds *very* surprising indeed.

> It is a surprise for me too, but anyway, I am convinced it is
> ok for `parse-sexp-lookup-properties' to be t by default.

> Stefan, do you think there is any risk this change might break
> anything?

I can't think of any case where it would cause a problem, no.  OTOH I'm not
sure it'd be worth taking the risk now,

        Stefan