Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lib-src/makefile.w32-in,v

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lib-src/makefile.w32-in,v
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 17:20:55 +0100

On 11/27/06, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

That'd be a nuisance, I think: people run configure even if
makefile.w32-in didn't change (well, I do), just to be sure.

The only (tiny) problem with depending on makefile.w32-in, is that if
the user forgets to run configure, he will see emacsclient being
compiled, but the version number will still be old. It's a bit
misleading.

Just a nitpick, anyway. The main case to consider is whether users
(not developers building from the CVS tree) will get the right number
after bootstrapping the first time, and they will.

What you are actually saying is that makefile in each directory should
depend on the respective makefile.w32-in, and if the latter was
changed, nt/configure.bat should run automatically.

A rule in makefile making it depend on makefile.w32-in? Nice idea :)

You are probably
right, but let's not do this before the release.

No, of course not!

(While at that, we should also avoid recreating makefile's and other
files produced by nt/configure.bat if the new version would be
identical to the old one, to avoid unnecessary recompilation.)

That shouldn't be too tricky, if you can count on a reliable way to
compare the old and new files. (Do we require diff right now? I don't
think so.)

                   /L/e/k/t/u