File name handlers and local files.

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: File name handlers and local files.
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 14:13:42 +0100

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:

>> BTW, something tickles me about all that: why functions like
>> file-exists-p & co doesn't check if the file is not an actual
>> stat(2)-able file before getting any fanciness with file name
>> handlers ?
>
> Yes, I've been hit by this many times while working on ido.

It's probably worth the ask in another thread.

Let's suppose my sysadmin is a weird guy. Very weird. And he decided
that a common NFS data directory will be created on the / with the
name 'data:', because he had a difficult childhood and loves The
Windows Way.

When I try to edit a file in that directory, I use : C-x C-f /data:/test

Oh, weirder! Even if a `data:' directory exists, it just tries to use
tramp !

Okey, this is a hard case, because the `test' file doesn't exist, and
it may exist on the distant host `data'.

But simpler: let's just try (file-exists-p "/data:"). The file name
handler having the precedence on local files, it tries to ssh to
`data:'. Isn't that a pity?

--
/!\ My mail address has changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac   |  «Tu aimeras ton prochain.»            |