Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Patch: Syntax and Hard Newlines
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 12:56:29 -0500

    If all filling functions insert soft newlines with `fill-newline',
    changing this function will be Ok.  And if making this change is Ok,
    how about adding a customizable variable to control whether putting
    the `syntax-table' property?  This would require as little functions
    to be changed as possible.

In general, soft newlines can be inserted by the user too,
for instance by yanking.  So I think the approach of putting
special properties on soft newlines cannot be a general solution.

Currently it is hard newlines that are special.  If we need to use
other text properties to distinguish different kinds of newlines,
putting them on hard newlines follows the existing design better.

If hard newlines should have one property, and soft newlines should
have a different property, then ordinary newlines with no property
(which is what you will get by yanking text that doesn't distinguish)
will have neither property.  In effect, they will be a third kind of
newline.