Re: unicode font-backend + tiling

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: unicode font-backend + tiling
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 07:19:55 +0100

Kenichi Handa skrev:
In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
It's quite easy to display characters without aa
(anti-aliasing), but the problem is how we specify aa or
non-aa for a specific set of characters/fonts.  We may want
aa even for Chinese characters if the font size is smaller
than some threshold.  So, we must design a flexible
interface that can be controlled by users.

Couldn't Emacs, by default at least, just let xft/freetype/whatever
decide?

Perhaps possible for xft backend.  I've just installed a
change for that.

I was under the impression that other apps just did that, and
it seems to work well (roman letters use aa, cjk doesn't use aa at
"normal" sizes, but _does_ at big sizes).

I've thought that aa is useful for small sizes.

Usually not. The smaller size the worse it looks. OSX has a system setting where you can set the smallest size when AA is used.

        Jan D.