Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:05:20 -0500

    1. `beginning-of-defun' moves to the beginning of the line where it
    expects the beginning of a defun.  That position is not necessarily part
    of that defun and maybe not even at the "outermost" level as I explained
    in the example of point 2 of my previous mail.

I don't understand this point (and I don't remember the previous mail).
What do you think it should say here?

    2. That a user's idea of "defun" for her programming language does not
    necessarily coincide with that of `beginning-of-defun'.

The major mode is supposed to try to make them correspond.
It seems strange to assume that it doesn't succeed.

    foo (...)

    will now get you two defuns instead of one.

We're still considering how to change the way C mode handles
this case, and I don't think that will be true when we are done.

Anyway, this is not the right place to discuss what happens in
specific modes.