Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue - Patch for beginning-of-

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Mysterious fontification/C++ context issue - Patch for beginning-of-defun-raw.
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:02:37 -0500

>> In any case, could someone check in Martin's optimization to
>> c-beginning-of-defun-raw, or send me the patch with a changelog so
>> that I can check it in?
>
> Chong, especially: Please load xdisp.c with the following patch, and tell
> me whether or not its slowness is still a problem.

Before the changes beginning-to-defun-raw, doing M-> to move to the
end of xdisp.c is instantaneous.

With the patch applied, M-> takes four seconds.  This is on a Pentium 4
1700MHz computer.

Is it really so bad to revert the changes for now?  If the only files
misfontified are Emacs source files, I don't think this "fix" is
necessary for Emacs 22---especially if the files in question can be
tweaked to avoid the bug.  (AFAIK, the issue of how to see this
problem was never discussed on this mailing list, but I've certainly
never come across it in my frequent perusal of the Emacs sources.)