Re: Toolbar redraw causes unwanted selection

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Toolbar redraw causes unwanted selection
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:09:44 +0100

JD Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> On Dec 19, 2006, at 3:02 AM, Kim F. Storm wrote:
>>> As someone who often switches rapidly between row and 1-row toolbar
>>> windows (a C buffer and an IDLWAVE buffer, for instance), I can
>>> confirm that the constant resizing is a bit annoying -- though much
>>> less than the original unintended selection.

Have you added more icons to the IDLWAVE tool-bar ?
The default tool-bar doesn't need extra lines ...

>> So why don't you turn it off then?
>
> That's what I end up doing.  Many users prefer the toolbar (which has
> some conveniences), and don't know how to turn it off.  And I might
> actually use it more if not for these twin inconveniences.

I meant turn off just auto-resize-tool-bars ...

>> That's already what tool-bar-lines in frame-paramteres do.
>
> Hadn't heard of it, but if this is optional, I suppose all modes
> would need to set it to be effective.

Modes don't normally mess with frame parameters like that.
Only you can know (for sure) what is needed here.

You can just add it to default-frame-alist.

>>> Post-release, it would also be very nice to be able to specify the
>>> addition of a new row of toolbar buttons independent of frame width,
>>> for modes which append to the original set of buttons.  This would
>>> also result in less churn in toolbar height, and would be more
>>> visually appealing for modes which add a themed set of icons.
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand.  Do you want a "line break" in the toolbar
>> lines or ?
>
> Basically, yes.  One row of default editing icons.  One row of mode-
> specific icons.

Let's take that after the release.