Re: Some problems in `add-log-current-defun'

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Some problems in `add-log-current-defun'
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 11:45:15 +0100

"Herbert Euler" <address@hidden> writes:

> I encountered a problem in add-log.el, and solved it somehow (see
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2006-09/msg00869.html).
> However, after re-reading the implementation of
> `add-log-current-defun', I found there are still many problems (bugs)
> in `add-log-current-defun' for the C like languages.

[...]

> IV. On the C++ names
>
> And what I tried to fix is not general too.  My fix is
>
>    (while (not (looking-back "\\(^\\|[ \t]\\)"))
>      (forward-sexp -1))
>
> This is not general too: C++ permits the nested name to be put in many
> lines.  For example, the following name is valid:
>
>    void
>    class_1
>    ::
>    sub_class_2
>    ::
>    method_3 ()
>    {
>      /* ...  */
>    }
>
> The current implementation cannot handle this name correctly.

Please note that we are talking about implementing editor support, not
a C++ parser.  It is not our task to handle all C++ constructs
perfectly.  Instead, it is our task to handle reasonably formatted C++
code.  Code like the above may _intentionally_ be formatted in this
manner in order to persuade the editor to interpret things
differently.

--
David Kastrup