Re: Should `auto-coding-functions' be mode-specific?

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: Should `auto-coding-functions' be mode-specific?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 09:44:32 +0100

Kevin Rodgers <address@hidden> writes:

> 2006-06-02  Juri Linkov  <address@hidden>

>       * international/mule.el (sgml-html-meta-auto-coding-function):
>       Remove the condition `(search-forward "<html" size t)'.

Thanks for noticing this Kevin, I had missed it.  I think this
change should be reverted, it's okay to make Emacs handle Mozilla's
broken HTML, but only as long as it doesn't get in the way of valid
use cases!

And your proposed change to also recognize a doctype at the
beginning of the buffer looks good to me.

So unless someone objects, I'll revert Juri's change and extend the
function as Kevin suggests.  Perhaps I'll also make it recognize
Mozilla's specific doctype ('<!DOCTYPE NETSCAPE-Bookmark-file-1>').

--
Romain Francoise <address@hidden> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the