Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building cvs emacs on a dual-core machine
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 23:59:42 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Randal L. Schwartz)
> Date: 04 Jan 2007 12:17:35 -0800
>
> I just did:
>         cvs -q up
>         make clean # to start from a known base

Is "make clean" indeed enough to remove everything generated by
bootstrap?  I think you need maintainer-clean.

>         time make -j3 bootstrap
>
> The C compiles at the beginning are much faster, although
> the .el => .elc phase appears to be single threaded, but worked fine.

The byte compilation runs in a single Emacs, but Make should run
several other commands in parallel to byte compilation, such as
autoloads, finder-data, and custom-deps.  So at least the first part
of byte compilation runs in parallel with another process

> Oddly enough, it seems to have taken twice as long!  Wow.

What took twice as long, exactly?  The byte compilation stage?