Re: defcustom and the stars.

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: defcustom and the stars.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2007 07:36:49 +0100

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Michael,
>
>> Please, do not remove me from the list of Cc as I don't scrupulously
>> read Emacs Devel usually.
>
> OK; sorry about that. I know I don't like getting two copies of everything,
> so I tend to think others too might want just the list copy. I realize this
> is an incorrect assumption.

In fact, I read e-devel through GMane and quickly kill the threads
I take part in.

>> > Yes. Here is a doc string I have, for instance.
>> >  "**Completions* window is removed if fewer chars than this are input."
>>
>> I don't see your point.  Maybe this has been discussed with Juanma, but
>> what's the harm removing the first * ?
>
> The doc string that the user sees then reads "Completions* window...", which
> is not good - the text should say *Completions*.

There must be a misunderstanding here.
(defvar foo nil "**scratch* me I'm famous.")
with the change I proposed now shows

,----[ C-h v foo RET ]
| foo is a variable defined in `~/etc/emacs.d/gnus/News/drafts/drafts/13'.
| Its value is nil
|

| Documentation:
| *scratch* me I'm famous.
|
| You can change this variable using `set-variable'.
`----

Only "^\*" is deleted, not "^\**".

>> > Why not just leave any extra `*' there?
>>
>> Because it's confusing and somewhat useless for the user.
>
> The user doesn't see the first `*'. How is it confusing to the user?

Okey, there must be another strong misunderstanding here :-)

$ emacs -Q
C-h v show-paren-highlight-openparen RET

,----[ C-h v show-paren-highlight-openparen RET ]
| show-paren-highlight-openparen is a variable defined in `paren.el'.
| Its value is t
|

| Documentation:
| *Non-nil turns on openparen highlighting when matching forward.
`----
  ^ Here, there's the useless star. And the user sees it.

>> What about « You can change this variable using `set-variable' » with
>> a link on « change » ?
>
> Yes, that's OK by me.
> (<nitpick>Though it's really the value that is changed...</nitpick>)

« You can change variable's value using `set-variable' » ?

--
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |  Un certain Blaise Pascal              |
 |         Epita/LRDE Promo 2007     |    etc... etc...                       |