Re: find-alternate-file default filename annoyance

From: Leo
Subject: Re: find-alternate-file default filename annoyance
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 23:46:54 +0000

On 2007-01-22, Kim F. Storm said:

>> *HOWEVER*, there must be a bug in either ffap or ido which cause
>> Emacs to place the cursor at the end of the filename.
>
> Ido _always_ places the cursor at the end of the "current input",
> which in this case happens to be the current buffer filename.

There maybe a good explanation behind the whole cursor placing
things. As I found 99% of the time IDO is more convenient than the
default behaviors, this one really confuses me. Is it because C-k has
been bound to ido-delete-file-at-head, so if the cursor is placed at
the beginning of the filename, users might accidentally delete files?

> So there is no bug.  Just use M-DEL to delete the filename as usual
> with ido.

But We are paying a price. This will increase the keystrokes to more
than 2 as most files have an extension.