Re: A few faces.el questions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A few faces.el questions
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:07:45 -0500

    - The set-face-*-p family of functions all have an argument *-P (for
    example, INVERSE-VIDEO-P, BOLD-P, etc.). However, in the case of
    `set-face-underline-p' this is misleading, because UNDERLINE-P is not
    a flag (it can also be a color). Will someone object if I just change
    arg UNDERLINE-P to UNDERLINE and fix the info in the Emacs Lisp
    Reference (which doesn't mention the color option)? (This would also
    affect `modify-face', BTW.)

This function has been around for a long time, so let's not think of
changing its name now.

    - I know `internal-find-face' and `internal-get-face' are obsolete
    since 21.1, but their docstrings lie horribly about the FRAME
    argument. Wouldn't be better to just say "The argument FRAME is
    ignored"?

Ok.

    - Shouldn't `face-id' return an answer also for face aliases? I.e., instead
of

In principle, that sounds right, but I don't want to risk the change now.

    - `face-differs-from-default-p' checks all face attributes except
    :inherit (obviously) and :stipple. Should it check :stipple?

Yes, if there is really a bug.  Can you verify that there is one?