Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Hebrew xlation of Emacs tutorial
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 20:16:33 +0200

> Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:25:51 +0200
> From: Yotam Medini =?UTF-8?B?15nXldeq150g157Xk9eZ16DXmQ==?= <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> While Emacs cannot display Hebrew text right, the TUTORIAL.he can
> be converted to visual order.

Unfortunately, visual-order Hebrew is not reliably displayed in
current Emacs, either.  Depending on the toolkit, sometimes the words
are displayed reversed (because the toolkit applies bidi reordering
when it displays strings), but once you move the cursor past them,
they are converted back to the visual order.

I don't want to add to Emacs anything that ugly and unreliable, sorry.

> I teach a small class of kids Python programming on Gnu/Linux.
> The kids' English is poor. They understand enough, so they
> can type simple code - using English letters of course.
> As part of the course, I teach them basic Emacs usage. I wish I could
> refer them to a tutorial.  So my thinking of the tutorial
> translation, is to explain in Hebrew how to do English text editing.

I'm afraid that currently your only option is to edit the translated
tutorial in OpenOffice or some such, and then print it and use the
printed copy in your classes.