Re: Image mode

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: 04 Feb 2007 20:25:41 -0500

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2/4/07, Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Due to paranoid fears, a good feature was deteriorated to an unusable state.
> Yes, you're right, if you mean that adding this to .emacs is an almost
> insurmountable burden:
>  (put 'image-toggle-display 'disabled nil)
>  (setcdr (rassq 'image-mode-maybe magic-mode-alist)
>          'image-mode)

After some thought, I also think that the recent changes are an
overreaction.  After all, any program that displays images is
susceptible to the hypothetical "image-based viruses" that this change
is supposed to protect against, but you don't see anyone else issuing
big warnings into their programs.  Imagine opening up firefox, and
trying to view a webpage with images, only to be prompted each time
about whether or not to display each image.

At the very least, we should remove the 'disabled tag from