Re: Image mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:20:56 +0100

>     In contrast, if someone sends me a JPEG image in an email, Gnus
>     will happily show it to me without asking (at least with the
>     settings I'm using).  So where's the protection in that case?
>
> Should we consider that a bug in Gnus?
> (I don't know what the answer is.)

I don't think so.  That is pretty much standard behavior of all
browsers/mail readers, and they are more likely to get an attack
targeted for a hole in the image library.

The expected way of dealing with a vulnerability is wait for the
patch, possibly switching images off or restricting the sites you
visit, until it arrives.

People never upgrading their software and sitting on a net connection
should consider switching off image support.

--
David Kastrup