Re: Image mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Image mode
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:16:19 -0500

    But it cannot be the business of Emacs to decide about the
    trustworthiness of a source.  It is the job of the user.

Most users don't have any idea how to judge this, any more than I do.
It would never occur to us to suspect that displaying an image as an
image might do some harm.  And even if we did think of the
possibility, there is no practical thing we could do about it.  If I
want to see what the image looks like, what am I going to do except
view it?

What good does it do me to avoid displaying a image named foo.txt
if I don't avoid displaying an image named foo.jpg?

    In fact, if anything I'm arguing against security warnings; my point
    is that we cannot reliably protect the user. Believing that a match
    between contents and file extension should somehow be more trusted is
    false security.

I think so too.