Re: copyrights to be fixed

From: joakim
Subject: Re: copyrights to be fixed
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:18:30 +0100

>       Are there major gaps in the features?
>     No, not that I have seen.
> A small number of people can't tell the answer to this question by
> running the program.
> We need the people who implemented the multi-tty code to tell us
> whether there are cases they have not handled yet that need to be
> handled to avoid loss of functionality.

This readme contains a list of known issues:

For convenience I paste the Known Problems list here:

Known problems:

        * GTK support.  If you compile your Emacs with the GTK
          toolkit, some functionality of multi-tty will be lost.  In
          particular, you will not be able to work on multiple X
          displays at once.  Current releases of GTK have limitations
          and bugs that prevent full-blown multi-display support in
          Emacs.  (GTK crashes when Emacs tries to disconnect from an
          X server.)  Use the Lucid toolkit if you want to see a
          complete feature set.

        * The single-kboard mode.

          If your multi-tty Emacs session seems to be frozen, you
          probably have a recursive editing session or a pending
          minibuffer prompt (which is a kind of recursive editing) on
          another display.  To unfreeze your session, switch to that
          display and complete the recursive edit, for example by
          pressing C-] (`abort-recursive-edit').

          I am sorry to say that currently there is no way to break
          out of this "single-kboard mode" from a frozen display.  If
          you are unable to switch to the display that locks the
          others (for example because it is on a remote computer),
          then you can use emacsclient to break out of all recursive
          editing sessions:

                emacsclient -e '(top-level)'

          Note that this (perhaps) unintuitive behaviour is by design.
          Single-kboard mode is required because of an intrinsic Emacs
          limitation that is very hard to eliminate.  (This limitation
          is related to the single-threaded nature of Emacs.)

          I plan to implement better user notification and support for
          breaking out of single-kboard mode from locked displays.

        * Mac, Windows and DOS support is broken, doesn't even
          compile.  Multiple display support will probably not provide
          new Emacs features on these systems, but the multi-tty
          branch changed a few low-level interfaces, and the
          system-dependent source files need to be adapted
          accordingly.  The changes are mostly trivial, so almost
          anyone can help, if only by compiling the branch and
          reporting the compiler errors.

Joakim Verona