Re: vertical scrollbar error on MS Windows

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: vertical scrollbar error on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:52:28 +0100

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Stephan Hennig wrote:
>> I've done some tests with that version now (This is GNU Emacs 22.0.93.1
>> (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-02-19 on LENNART-69DE564).
>>
>> Scrolling has indeed improved.  The erratic up and down movement of the
>> buffer while dragging the scrollbar in _one_ direction seems to has gone
>> away.

Good!  That was the main problem I was trying to solve.

>> Still there are some problems:
>>

> It seems that the latest change reverted the previous buggy behaviour
> to earlier buggy behaviour, where the scrollbar handle resizes as you
> scroll.

Only when the handle is near the end of the buffer -- to be able to
actually reach the end of the buffer.

As Stephan noted, it may scroll too far (making the bottom line scroll
out of view) - but that's actually the normal Emacs behaviour on X!

> If this behaviour is generally preferred to the previous behaviour,
> then we should leave it like this until after the release. Experience
> has shown that it is going to take major changes in the way we perform
> our scroll-bar related calculations to make an improvement in this
> area without breaking it in some other way.

Indeed - this is not the time to "really fix it".