Re: RAW sockets

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: RAW sockets
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 23:23:09 +0100

A Soare <address@hidden> writes:

>> > To trace the root , withut using external commands.
>>
>> What is that supposed to mean?
>>

> To find out the trace made by a IP packet from one destination to one other.
>
> It would be useful also to write a ping command, without using ping of shell.

If that's the purpose, I don't see it as "very useful".

On GNU/Linux, you need to be root to open a raw socket, so if you are
an ordinary user, you still have to use the external ping program
which is suid root.

I can hardly imagine Emacs running on a platform which does not
have a ping program - so why not use that?

It would be nice if someone wrote a generic ping.el wrapper around
different ping programs on various platforms, passing the proper set
of parameters to make them do the right things...

Then you could do (ping "host" 'ping-result 3 2) to send a maximum of
3 pings with 2 seconds interval to host "host", calling the
ping-result sentinel with 2 paramters (ping-result HOST TIME) where
TIME is the response time in seconds (a float) if host responds,
or TIME is nil if host does not respond.