Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:32:52 +0100

>> ... Many major modes still work better when they
>>are allowed to fontify a buffer from beginning to end.
>

> Stealth fontification doesn't do that anyway.

Hmmm... When I simply open a buffer it fontifies the buffer from the
beginning to the end ...

(defsubst jit-lock-stealth-chunk-start (around)
      (let* ((next (text-property-not-all around (point-max) 'fontified t))
             (result (cond ((null start) next)
                           ((null next) start)
                           ((< (- around start) (- next around)) start)
                           (t next))))
        result))))

... next is always the first unfontified position in the buffer.

>>Also, when a mode uses font-lock to assign `syntax-table' properties,
>>there's a slight chance that an editing sequence that worked with
>>stealth fontification turned on will not work any more when stealth
>>fontification is turned off.  Having fontification assign syntax-table
>>properties is certainly flawed by design but at the moment there's no
>>other way to do that automatically.
>

> When there are such bugs, stealth fontification doesn't prevent them.
> It may hide them occasionally (non-deterministically), depending on the
> specific editing steps.

That's exactly what I wanted to express.

>>With other words, setting this to nil may cause some obscure bugs get
>>reported (and hopefully fixed) earlier ...
>

> Indeed, and with a recipe that may be slightly easier to reproduce.

We violently agree.