Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 09:17:10 +0100

>     Yes, I know of at least 2 causes:
>     - it's based on polling and may take a long time before the next poll
>     - the stealth-fontification causes swapping, and so even if the poll comes
>       immediately, pages need to be swapped back in before the user's command
>       can complete.
>
> I see.
>
> The motive for stealth fontification was to avoid delays when moving
> to another part of the file.

That is the motive for jit-font-lock, but stealth fontification
fontifies _other_ buffers.  While it may also hit the current buffer,
this is not a priority as far as I can tell.

> Is fontification now sufficiently fast that such delays are not much
> of an annoyance any more?

Well, if they _are_ an annoyance, then presumably because of
problematic font lock patterns, and then they will be an annoyance
also using stealth fontification (namely causing high CPU drain and
sluggish behavior), only a non-debuggable, non-deterministic and
non-reproduceable annoyance.