Re: move-end-of-line in comint buffers

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: move-end-of-line in comint buffers
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 11:43:12 -0500

>     1) Type `M-x shell RET'
>
>     2) Type in a command (or any random junk) that wraps to the next
>        visible line
>
>     3) Type `C-p'.  The point should now be at the beginning of the
>        prompt.
>
>     4) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the prompt / beginning
>        of the command.
>
>     5) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the visible line.
>
>     6) Type `C-e'.  The point is now at the end of the actual line.
>

>     Behavior (5) above is unexpected.
>
> It seems like a bug to me.  C-e is not supposed to stop at the end
> of the screen line.
>
> Would someone please fix this, then ack?

This is a result of the fact that point started out from inside a
different field.  The current behavior is prevents point from getting
stuck in some fairly complicated circumstances, and it will be
difficult to fix it for this case without causing subtle bugs.

I think we should leave it till after the release.