Re: --with-gtk as default?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: --with-gtk as default?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:13:52 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > >> Given that GNOME is considered part of the GNU project, should not be
>  > >> --with-gtk be the default for compiling Emacs rather than Athena
>  > >> widgets, at least where GTK+ is available?
>  > >
>  > > I don't have an opinion about this, but if we eventually do make this
>  > > the default, please exclude Cygwin from the platforms that build with
>  > > GTK+ by default, because as Jan discovered, the Cygwin build is
>  > > currently incompatible with GTK+.
>  >
>  > Cygwin is basically an X11 build?
>
> I guess the various distributions will build Emacs with GTK, anyway.

The evidence is against you here.  There are already emacs-snapshot
packages for Debian GNU/Linux and derivatives, and to get a version
for GTK+ you _explicitly_ have to install emacs-snapshot-gtk.
Otherwise you will get the Athena widget version.

I don't see where you get the conviction that things will change with
the release of Emacs 22 _unless_ we express our "upstream" intent to
have GTK+ preferred over Athena in a default installation by, well,
making it the default installation.