Re: vertical scrollbar error on MS Windows

From: grischka
Subject: Re: vertical scrollbar error on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 20:45:09 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> A scrollbar is nothing more than a bunch of pixels that give
> you some rough idea of where you are (and how much of the
> rest there is left to see), along with some way to move with
> the use of a mouse.

Sounds like a somehow applicable description of scrolling
in emacs, to be honest.

> I believe that confining oneself strictly to some analogy to the physical
> world is just plain dumb. What's the benefit, concretely? No user has ever
> complained that she doesn't understand how Emacs scrollbars work just
> because they "slide off the end".  When the thumb slides off the end, all
> users know immediately that it "has slid off the end": they understand it
> completely intuitively.  Only GUI-nitpickers get annoyed that it doesn't
> conform to some model.

I have my doubts whether everybody sees it as you see it.
As you say one is not confined to one analogy exclusively.
Also I would not trust a developer with such things anyway.

Other than that I'm still curious to see all that work with
the intuitive Xaw features added on the scrollbar from the
other OS.

-- grischka