Re: --with-gtk as default?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: --with-gtk as default?
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 10:22:30 +0100

Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup skrev:
>> Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>>     Given that GNOME is considered part of the GNU project, should not be
>>>     --with-gtk be the default for compiling Emacs rather than Athena
>>>     widgets, at least where GTK+ is available?
>>>
>>> In principle maybe, but it isn't working well enough yet.
>>
>> Interesting.  In my experience, it is working quite better than the
>> Athena widgets.  Which is one of the reasons I have been using the
>> Gtk+ port for years now.  For example, it has no problems using
>> Unicode in the menus.
>>
>> Could you provide examples about things that work worse than with
>> Athena widgets?
>
> The only thing I can think of is the display close bug that Gtk+
> has.  Are there other problems that keeps us from having --with-gtk
> as the default?

As far as I remember from the discussions (and I might well be wrong),
the display close bug has been fixed in the newest Gtk+ versions.

So how would this strategy be?  If no toolkit is specified and GTK+ is
available, use GTK+ if it does not crash on display close.

Of course, at configure time, we might not have a DISPLAY available in
the first place.  Is there a good heuristic to figure out whether a
given GTK+ version would crash on close, even without having a display
in the first place to test it with?