Re: `key-binding' and XEmacs-style events

From: Stuart D. Herring
Subject: Re: `key-binding' and XEmacs-style events
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 22:27:40 -0800 (PST)

>     > A list as a member of a key sequence has no meaning except
>     > in terms of XEmacs compatibility, so I think confusion is not
>     > possible.
>
>     key-binding can be called with a mouse event inside of a key sequence
>     vector.  That was what the problem report was about in the first
>     place.
>
> I stand corrected -- but the original problem report was not about a
> mouse event, it was about using a character inside a list.
>
> The car of a mouse event list is a symbol.   If the recent fix
> does not alter what is done when the car is a symbol, it should not
> alter treatment of mouse events.  Isn't that so?

Unless I made a mistake, the fix I made does nothing at all except
avoiding an error when the car of a list is not a symbol: the rest of the
code proceeds as it did before and (since the modifier lists are in
general handled correctly) does the right thing.  If it is a symbol,
exactly the same code is executed, merely with certain side-effect-free
expressions evaluated in a slightly different order.

Davis

shipping.