Re: Pretest?

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Pretest?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 08:15:40 +0100

Giorgos Keramidas skrev:
On 2007-03-04 21:38, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
Giorgos Keramidas <address@hidden> writes:

  FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #0: Tue Feb 27 01:25:46 EET 2007

While I'm running the GTK+ version, however, I can crash Emacs in
emacs_blocked_free() by following the steps outlined below:

* Run Emacs inside gdb:
* Run M-x gnus-agent-batch while my network connection is
  disabled, and let it time-out.  It prompts me for going into
  `off-line mode', to which I reply `yes'.
* The next time I input C-z Emacs crashes with a backtrace of:
I can't seem to reproduce this on GNU/Linux (I don't have a FreeBSD
box handy).  It's strange that gnus-agent batch has anything to do
with it.  Have you been able to reproduce the C-z crash in any other
circumstance?  (It is better to get a recipe not involving gnus, since
that might depend on your newsgroup settings.)

In any case, the backtrace indicates that the crash occurs deep in
GTK/Glib.  If you look at what is occurring in the Emacs code, what
we're doing is perfectly innocuous: gdk_pixbuf_new_from_xpm_data() is
called on a static character array containing an XPM image.  So the
bug is probably in GTK or Glib, not in Emacs.
Could not possibly have anything to do with the following?

2007-03-01  Kenichi Handa  <address@hidden>

        * process.c (send_process_object): Check the process status and
        signal an error if something is wrong.

I sort of doubt that, but I can test.

IIRC, Emacs 22.X had problems on FreeBSD with GTK+ a long time ago too.

As I recall, it was the threading issue that was the problem then. Are there multiple threads running in Emacs at the time of the crash? info threads in gdb will show you that. A backtrace for each thread, if there are several, would be nice.

        Jan D.