Re: address@hidden: Re: comint's directory tracking doesn't understand \

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: comint's directory tracking doesn't understand \( or \)]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 04:10:46 +0100

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:23:32 -0500 Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>     shell-mode watches your input for commands that change the directory
>>     (mainly the shells `cd' command but also `popd', `pushd' and maybe
>>     others).
>
>>     shell-mode then just use the first argument - (comint-arguments 1 1) -
>>     to this command to keep track of the working dir of the shell process.
>
>> This patch would be safer if you add a new function comint-dir-argument
>> which does the new thing, and is used only for dir tracking.
>> Then you could leave comint-arguments unchanged, and avoid the risk
>> of breaking something else with some other shell.
>
>> With that alteration, I think we could install it now.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to move it to shell.el?
> I.e. create a new function shell-argument?

Agree with that.  I'll think about a quick and dirty solution that
only solves the directory tracking problem (we don't need to parse
the whole command line here, just the 0th and 1st arg, maybe that
simplifies the problem a bit).

I'll bring up the discussion about a more general solution after
Emacs 22 is out.

David