Re: read-file-name-predicate

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: read-file-name-predicate
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:16:28 -0500

    I don't know if in this specific case the variable is a left-over from
    something we don't need anymore; I hope Kim will answer that.  But
    your general point -- that Lisp variables should all be documented to
    the degree that every Emacs user should understand -- is not valid (as
    a generality).

That is correct.  Some C features need Lisp variables (and Lisp
primitive functions) that are internal and we do not need to document
them.  In some cases we do not WANT Lisp programmers to use these
internal functions and variables.