Re: Help: build emacs in cygwin

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help: build emacs in cygwin
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 06:13:44 +0200

> Cc: "William Xue" <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> From: Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 08:47:51 -0800

>     Eli> I think that's a very bad idea: MinGW and Cygwin are deeply
>     Eli> incompatible.  So please do NOT use the MinGW Make to build
>     Eli> the Cygwin port of Emacs.
>
> Uh oh.  I suggested that only because nt/INSTALL says
>
>      (If you are building from CVS, say "make bootstrap" or "nmake
>      bootstrap" instead, and avoid using Cygwin make.)

nt/INSTALL does not cover the Cygwin build, it only covers the native
Windows builds.  For Cygwin, users should read the main INSTALL file,
because Cygwin emulates a Posix platform.

IOW, the above advice in nt/INSTALL advises against using the Cygwin
Make for non-Cygwin builds.

> The MinGW "make" is the only Free "make" I know of that works to build
> emacs on Cygwin, and it's been working without problem for me for
> literally years.  What's wrong with it, and what would you recommend
> in its place?

For Cygwin builds, the _only_ Make to use is the Cygwin Make.