Re: Collecting shells on Saint Helena

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Collecting shells on Saint Helena
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 04:24:20 -0500

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> Start Emacs22 with -Q.  Into buffer *scratch* type "foobaz.sh".  Place
> point over the text and do "M-x ffap".
>
> Emacs replies with "Pinging foobar.sh (Saint Helena)...".  ?????
>
> This seems a wierd sort of message to give somebody who wants to
> ffap his file foobar.sh, but has mistyped the name.

I suppose something which tries to guess what you mean is always going
to make some mistakes, which is the price you pay for convenience.

The behaviour is customizable, eg

(setq ffap-machine-p-known 'reject)

would get you the behaviour you want.

I don't think there's any way for ffap to tell the difference between
a host you might want to ping and a file you might want to open, so it
comes down to a question of what the defaults are.

Maybe in future ffap could check for a "fuzzy" match for a mis-typed
filename.