Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link with t-mouse

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: mouse-1-click-follows-link with t-mouse
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 10:37:42 -0400

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> |  - Links can be followed using `mouse-1'.
>>
>> [Removed the qualifying phrase `on graphical displays' ---
>> by the way, is it not possible to follow links using t-mouse?]
>
> It seems that in this situation the test in mouse-drag-track fails on
> this line [mouse.el:1055], i.e. input-pending-p returns t:
>
>     (when (and on-link
>                (not (input-pending-p)) --> HERE <--

I think there is a more fundamental obstruction to using the
mouse-1-click-follows-link mechanism t-mouse.  On graphical displays,
if you hold down the mouse button for 0.45 seconds (by default), that
is supposed to set point where you clicked instead of following links.
In t-mouse-mode, this information is simply unavailable (and, OTOH,
impossible to extract).

In this light, I think we should simply state, at least for now, that
mouse-1-click-follows-link is for graphical displays only.